Gloucestershire

Gloucestershire

Built in 1703 for the second Duke of Beaufort, Swangrove, sits on the edge of Badminton Park and had been long let to tenants, when Robert was asked by the then Duke of Beaufort in 1996 to bring the building back to its original function and utility creating a comfortable and handsome house.

Noted for its belvedere, or attic room, with windows on both sides from which to view the hunt, the Duke identified the kind of decor he desired as that with "an air of mellowness declining to extinction".

The attics and Chapel of Badminton were raided to select furniture to be brought to the lodge. Fabrics were laid out on the floor and over furniture, so Robert and the client could pore over them, admiring, fingering, approving and rejecting. "It was all planned and sorted in a day; the Duke was terrifically involved and encouraging" Robert recalls and “so confident in the arrangements that he said he didn’t need to see the lodge again until it was complete."

A pale scheme was used throughout the walls, ceilings and upholstery - allowing Persian carpets, art and antique textiles to add depth and character. A ground floor dining room and kitchen give way one floor above to a drawing room with original paneling and - at Robert's insistence - very comfortable furniture in linen damasks and tickings. A gingham canopied bed is lined with white damask in the main bedroom and the walls of the attic still have their original eighteenth century blue/grey faux marbled panels.
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire
With a focus on creating an environment that reflects the interests and tastes of the client, with inspiration from their travels and collections, this project, in a handsome London neighbourhood was led first by identifying the structural changes that would enhance the livability of the house, followed by a full interior design project.
A garden square flat in a building designed by Sir Thomas Cubitt, showing lofty ceilings and doors out to a tree-filled terrace lent itself to significant renovation to create an elegant London home for clients who returned to Robert Kime Design for a second project.
Ardagh, in County Cork, is a beautifully built granite cottage, with rough-cast render and a two up, two down floor plan. Originally built by an Englishman in the mid-nineteenth century; high ceilings and spacious rooms provided good scope for a holiday home.
Upper Farm, where for many years Robert lived and from which he ran his growing business, was in an enviable position, just half a mile up a drive on the way to a Roman fort. The house and farm buildings ripe for conversion provide the context against which Robert created one of his most well-known projects.
When La Gonette was acquired in 1999, this house was a "perfect ruin" - a sound roof with a magical facade and hundred foot terrace, but no floors nor much for doors or walls. Not deterred, by the project's end the burnt-out shell had been transformed into a magnificent house, full of comfort, attention to the vernacular style and rivalled gardens.
Originally a modest bergerie, sheltering a goat herd and flock, by 1880 it had grown into a farm with a courtyard, a basse-cour and outbuildings. High in the valley in Provence, the design project demanded an understanding of the building’s origins and the client’s enthusiasm for the house as it stood and it’s historical importance.
Paradise Island, in the Bahamas, was home to an unusual project - a day house - “a private, safe and comfortable house” for retreat from the busy life in the main house. Designed from the ground up by Robert, a typical Bahamian house on the exterior, with a light-filled and unexpected bohemian richness within.
A long, convergent terrace, on the edge of Calton Hill in Edinburgh was conceived in the 1820s by the architect William Playfair. Behind the classical rustication is an 1850s mansion interior with commanding proportions.
South Wraxall Manor, is a venerable house in Wiltshire, with the earliest parts of the house dated to the 15th century and nothing later than 1650. The ensuing two-year restoration, decoration and furnishing project stands today as a strong testament to the relationship between designer, client, architect and restorer.
An 18th century building with fine proportions and a good staircase; only the front had been doctored in the 19th century, sits a hundred yards from the British Museum. Within view of the eccentric steeple of nearby Saint George’s Bloomsbury, a glass ceiling was inserted by Robert at the far end of the ground floor of the building so this remarkable Hawksmoor church built in the late 1720s could be easily admired.
An abandoned village hall in Wiltshire had a strong appeal as a project - set in a quiet spot, with virtually no traffic was thought "wonderfully tranquil". Fields with long views of farmland behind and a building in disrepair were reimagined as a comfortable, safe haven.
Docker Nook - in Longsleddale, described as a "farmhouse and outbuildings, probably originally cowhouse under granary, under one roof. Late seventeenth, early eighteenth century. Lime-washed stone rubble" occupies an enviable position within the Lake District National Park. Following the purchase, a full restoration and redecoration project ensued.
The Gunton Arms is situated in the one thousand acre deer park which surrounds Gunton Hall near Cromer, Norfolk. The park was created in the early eighteenth century by the Harbord family and was comparable in scale to the parks of the estates to the west, Holkham and Houghton. A pub with bedrooms brought back to life by art dealer Ivor Braka; the public spaces and bedrooms at The Gunton Arms are all designed by Robert Kime and team, mixing Kime’s signature style with Braka’s extensive art collection.